Sunday, May 1, 2011

Times Colonist 10K




I didn't actually wear this shirt during the run today. Why? A) It was about two sizes too big (apparently I'm not a medium? Usually works every time) and looked like a mini dress on me, and B) I slopped my pizza sauce on it last night while devouring some good ol' carbohydrates. Oh, and I'm wearing it right now as I sit on the couch & blog - stains and all.



Before the race started: I spy the finish line! And damn did it ever feel good when I crossed it!!!!



This was by far the strangest costume out there. There were hula dancers, tu-tus, funky coloured tights... And a pot leaf. His band of merry stoners also waved their cannabis flag proudly on the sidelines around the 8K mark. I have a funny feeling they won't be voting Conservative (or Liberal or NDP) tomorrow...

Pretty flowers on the walk back to the car.

All in all, my first 10K went FANTASTIC! It was so fun seeing so many people volunteering their time to cheer us on (Thank you Lululemon for the cute signs like, "Keep going, keep going (that's what she said), and, Stand still for a minute so I can get your number"). It was also super cool to see live music on the side lines - the one during the last 400m really pumped me up with their up beat, Caribbean style music! I heard that during the first 72 minutes of the race, over five thousand runners had already crossed the finish line (out of an approximately thirteen thousand or so!) My aunt and I were two of those people! We crossed the finish line under an hour - our time was 57 minutes! I was so proud of myself. It is a new personal best for me, and I am amazed at how accomplished running makes me feel. Best way I could've spent my Sunday!

We also wandered around the mall, some stores downtown & popped into Starbucks. I am an addict, I swear! I had a grande non-fat, light ice iced coffee. At least, I think that's how the barista phrased it. Anyway, I picked up a super cute watch from Aldo, but I will post that tomorrow. I'm hoping to do a tiny bit of shopping tomorrow - fingers crossed!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

PS. A huge thanks to my mom for taking these pictures & driving at 6 AM this morning. You are the bomb dot com! Also, a huge thank you to my aunt for paying my registration fee and running with me! I had a great time people watching! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment